The Baptism in the Holy Ghost-1 Rev. Elekima Ekine
Act 1:8 “ But ye shall receive power , after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, in all Judea and in Samaria and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
John 4:14 “But whoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that a I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.”
John 7:38 “He that beliveth on me as the scriptures hath said , out of his belly shall flow rivers of living waters’
‘Baptism’ here is taken in the same way as baptism in water practiced in the Bible by immersion, it is the same way you are to be immersed in the Holy Ghost. The baptism in the Holy spirit means being immersed in the Holy Spirit to the point that we overflow in Him. Every one that is born again has the Holy Spirit with him; but until you are filled with the Holy Ghost will you begin to experience the reality of the Spirit upon you.
Jesus puts an urgency on the infilling of the Holy Ghost and it is with that same urgency the believers of old carried it; they do not see why any believer ought or should be without the Holy Ghost. What we see accompanying the baptism of the Holy Ghost is people speaking in other tongues.
Believers in the old times spoke in tongues. It was the practice in the old times that when they meet a believer, they want to know whether he is filled with the Holy Ghost . Acts 2:1-4; Acts 19 :1-2. Speaking in tongues can be received by the laying on of hands or under the preaching of the word. When you are in an atmosphere where the Spirit of God is moving, you can be filled with the Holy ghost to overflow and begin to speak in tongues.
It is important for a believer to have the experience of the infilling; there is only one baptism but there can be many infillings. That means, if you have been filled before; it is possible at some point in your life to feel low then, you can go to God for a fresh infilling- this is the refreshing (Isaiah 28:11)
The reason we have the Holy Ghost is so that we can be effective witnesses unto Him –So that by us and through us living the life of God by the help of the Holy Ghost people will be drawn to the Lord. It is also so that we can speak to people about Him and draw them to Him.
The Baptism of the Holy Ghost -2
“For it is good, profitable and advantageous to you that I go …..I will send Him to you” John 16:7 (amp)
If the Holy Ghost in you does not make you feel you are at an advantage in life , there must be something wrong with your relationship or your understanding of Him.
What advantage does having the Holy Ghost give?
- Guidance into the truth. “…He will lead you into all truth…” John 16:13. When you listen to the Spirit of God you will not go into error and you don’t have to be afraid. When you hear things you don’t agree with, go and ask the Holy Spirit, He can tell you what is right or wrong. Jesus said “when He comes, He will teach you all things”.
- He takes secret from the Father and reveals them to us. John 16:14 God has chosen to reveal secrets to us by the Holy Ghost. He receives of that which is of you; reveals and transmits it to you. Just live your normal life with the Holy Ghost and you will find out that nothing is hidden from you.
- He will reveal things to come. You can know things before they happen from the Holy Ghost because you have a relationship with Him. He knows when to show you things to come. There may be things to come that you cannot handle, He won’t show that to you but there are things you can handle that He will show to you.
- He will bring things to your remembrance. John 14:26. He can bring things that you need to be reminded of and bring it to your remembrance.
- In the Holy Ghost you have someone who has come to help you. Rom 8:26. He has come to bear the burden with you and to act against. Whatever is against you, He takes hold of it and act against it. He comes alongside you, if there is burden on you, He comes under the burden with the intent of shifting the burden off you. He does this much in prayer when things are against your life. You don’t have anything but to pray in the Holy Ghost. There is nothing that can stand against the Holy Ghost.
- He comes with power. Act 1:8 The word for power here means dunamis which means force, ability, mighty, competency in performance, efficiency. You have the ability to be efficient in all things by the Holy Ghost. You receive the ability to do when the Holy Ghost is upon you.
He gives you the ability to rise above or beyond the highest thoughts of man. Eph 3:20 The Holy Ghost in your life takes it out of the ordinary into something extra – ordinary. You have to know and expect this for it to be a reality in your life.