“Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee”. Gen 3:16
The following are the traits of a controlling wife.
- She will take decisions without recourse to or deferring to her husband. She will only deliver it to him after decision has been made. Though Eve was not yet formed in the garden when God gave the instruction not eat of the fruit of a particular tree, she heard from her husband, so when the tempter came, she could have asked the tempter to talk to her husband; but she made the decision from beginning to the end without making any reference to her husband.
- She will be contentious, that is; always spoiling for a fight.
- She will be a nagging wife, nagging is a means of seeking control. Nagging means complaining and forth findings; not seeing good in what others have done- “if it’s not the way you do it, then it must be wrong”.
- She would be a manipulating woman: manipulate means to do something deceitfully, with deceit.
- She will be competing.
- She will be demanding and grasping for equality. The Bible says of Jesus in Phil.2:5-7 “…though he was God, he sought not equality with God, he made himself of low reputation:” Wife, you are equal with your husband but you don’t need to demand for it.
- She will be persistently provocative.
- Sex in the marriage relationship will be when she wants it.
- If she is the one that has more money in the relationship, it would be a tool for control.
- She would be bossy even outside the home; because she is able to control her husband, she will seek that control over everybody else she meets.
“Let a woman have a covering over her head … the husband has been given to the wife as a covering…” The covering is intact when the wife is under the headship of the husband and is submitted to his vision. Seek yourself in the word and make necessary adjustments.